Formula 1 News

Force India insulated from Mallya - team

It was also reported that Adrian Sutil had his seat fitted ahead of the Barcelona testing next week.
Thursday, February 14, 2013

LONDON, Feb 14, 2013 (F1plus/AFP) - Force India insisted Thursday its Grand Prix team would be able to carry on despite co-owner Vijay Mallya's financial problems.

Shares in Indian businessman Mallya's debt-laden Kingfisher Airlines plunged Wednesday after banks said they would start recalling loans worth $1.5 billion.

The liquor baron is, though, expected to recoup funds from the $2 billion sale of a majority stake in India's United Spirits but the deal must still clear regulatory hurdles.

Despite its name, the Force India Grand Prix team is based at the nerve centre of British Formula One at the Silverstone track in central England. And deputy team principal Bob Fernley stressed there was a financial as well as geographical separation between Mallya's other business interests and Force India.

"There is a disconnect between what happens in Vijay's business and what Vijay is doing on the F1 team," Fernley told the jamesallenonf1.com website.

"So it doesn't matter what happens there. The shares in United Spirits have quadrupled in the last few months, so he did a wonderful deal there.

"But whether Kingfisher or United Spirits is doing well or not doesn't affect the team, and it's very difficult for us to get that message across, although we have been trying for several years.

"We get a story every three or four months where we are about to go bankrupt, or someone is selling us or whatever, and we've had that for five years, so we are used to it.

"Five times a year we are up for sale. But we are still there and the strength of Force India, which so many people seem to have missed, is our shareholders.

"We don't have to go to the external market to be able to raise our race budgets. We are blessed to have quality shareholders like Vijay and Sahara (an Indian conglomerate who also sponsor the Indian cricket team)."

Earlier this month, Force India unveiled their new car for the forthcoming Formula One season but they are still to confirm the identity of British driver Paul di Resta's teammate.

However, the team confirmed Thursday that a seat fitting for former driver Adrian Sutil took place this week.

Force India is the only outfit on the Grand Prix grid yet to announce a second driver, with Sutil and current reserve Jules Bianchi the leading contenders to partner di Resta.

Last season, Force India finished seventh in the constructors' championship and then saw German driver Nico Hulkenburg leave to join rivals Sauber at the end of 2012. 

Your Comments

 

Next F1 Race

United Kingdom
Jul 5
United Kingdom

Formula 1 News

Monday, May 18, 2015

F1 changes yet to clear hurdles

F1plusStore

F1 Standings

Drivers
Teams
1 Lewis Hamilton 126
2 Nico Rosberg 116
3 Sebastian Vettel 98
4 Kimi Räikkönen 60
5 Valtteri Bottas 42
6 Felipe Massa 39
1 Mercedes 242
2 Ferrari 158
3 Williams F1 81
4 Red Bull Racing 52
5 Sauber 21
6 Sahara Force India 17

View complete standings table »

F1plusStore

Last F1 Race

Monaco Grand Prix
Monte Carlo, Circuit of Monaco
1
Nico Rosberg
Mercedes
2
Sebastian Vettel
Ferrari
3
Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes
Fastest Lap


0s

Pole Position

Lewis Hamilton

View all »

 

Follow Us