SHANGHAI, April 11, 2013 (AFP) - Red Bull driver Mark Webber Thursday denied suggestions he had been on the verge of quitting the team and said he was looking forward to moving on from the team orders controversy in Malaysia.
Webber was incensed after team-mate Sebastian Vettel ignored team instructions three weeks ago at Sepang to snatch the lead and claim victory in the most contentious of circumstances.
The Australian said in the immediate aftermath that he was heading back home to Australia and had plenty to think about, prompting claims he was considering his immediate future with the team.
"First of all, I'm definitely keen to finish the season. A lot of people were even questioning that one, which was certainly not something in my mind," he told a press conference in Shanghai ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix.
Sporting a new haircut he added: "I'm fine. I was always going to Australia anyway after that race.
"Procedurally the team, everything is fine. It was an interesting race in Malaysia but I'm looking forward to racing again.
"I think we've proved the car is pretty competitive in the first few races. Not dominating by any means, nobody is doing that as yet."
Asked if he would accept a contract with Red Bull next season, the 36-year-old said: "I am keen to race this year and put together a very strong campaign.
"The next part is year-by-year. That's how it's always been for me so come the summer I will talk to Dietrich [Mateschitz] and then go from there.
"I have never ever made decisions in my career at this point of the season. Obviously it's a bit of a topic at the moment for different reasons but I don't see why I should make any decisions at the moment for the future."