May 20th, 2013 (F1plus).- BMW has hit back at Bernie Ecclestone's claim the German carmaker might be looking to return to formula one.
Off the back of Honda's decision to make a F1 comeback in 2015, F1 chief executive Ecclestone told City A.M. newspaper that he would be...."surprised if we don't see BMW again.
"The amount of money they spent was not significant in the grand scheme of things. It makes sense for them to return." He added.
But the Munich carmaker's motor sport boss Jens Marquardt said on Monday: "We are pleased with our current programme."
At present, the cream of BMW's motor racing programme is its new foray in the German touring car series DTM.
"We have no intention of looking into other areas," Marquardt told German website motorsport-total.com.
"We withdrew from formula one deliberately. We are focused on what our customers really recognise as BMW, and we have no reason to change."
One year after Honda pulled out in late 2008, BMW followed suit, citing reasons of "sustainability and environmental compatibility"
In Honda's comeback statement, president Takanobu Ito hailed the "significant environmental focus" of F1's shift from normally-aspirated V8s to ERS-boosted turbo V6s.
Japanese manufacturer Honda announced last Thursday it will return, after a six-year absence from the sport, in 2015 to supply works V6 engines to McLaren.
However, following speculation Honda's Japanese rival Toyota was the obvious next candidate to return to the grid, spokesman Dion Corbett told Bloomberg there are no such plans.
So far, Bernie's strategy to bring big manufacturers does not seem to be working well.