Formula 1 News

Perez and Petrov optimistic of racing in Canada

Both drivers suffered heavy accidents; Pérez during qualifying and Petrov in the race. They already left the hospital.
Monday, May 30, 2011

MONTE CARLO, Monaco, May 30, 2011 (AFP) - Monaco Grand Prix crash victims Vitaly Petrov of Russia and Mexican rookie Sergio Perez both escaped serious injury and said on Monday that they hope to be fit for the Canadian Grand Prix in a fortnight's time.

Petrov thought he had broken his leg when he crashed in his Renault at the swimming pool complex during Sunday's race, but hospital checks confirmed he had no fractures.

Perez crashed in his Sauber at the chicane during the final qualifying on Saturday, but was released from hospital on Monday uninjured.

"I'm fine!" said Petrov on Renault's website. "I have some hurting in my legs, but it should be fine for Canada."

"I couldn't get out of the car because first of all my legs were blocked - and also I didn't feel them, so I thought 'oh, I have a problem', because it looked like my leg was broken or something. I was in the car, waiting for the people to help me get out of the car.

"At the hospital, they did a full body check and analysis and it looks like I'm fine. I need just a little bit of rest and then we'll see what is going on."

Petrov - who looked certain to add more points to his season's total of 21 as he was in sixth when the crash ocurred -hinted that he thought the accident could have been avoided if Force India's German pilot Adrian Sutil had yielded.

"Sutil defended his position quite badly because I tried to overtake him side by side three or four times and he pushed me out on the wall a few times and closed the line -- not once but twice," said 26-year-old Petrov.

"It's not fair like this because you know in Monaco it's difficult to overtake. His tyres were completely gone and he knew it. Everyone would have passed him. So it's a pity."

Perez lost control of his car and wound up crashing directly into the barriers, sideways on, at high speed.

Although the 21-year-old Mexican, who has impressed in his maiden season and has so far garnered two points, spent two nights at the Princess Grace hospital, he only suffered a concussion and some bruising.

Perez said he felt lucky to have escaped any serious injury, and hopes to have fully recovered in time for the Montreal race in two weeks.

"I feel okay. I have little bit of pain in my leg and in my neck, but this comes from muscles and is nothing to worry about," said Perez.

"On Sunday I still felt a bit dizzy but that is all. Thank God I'm healthy and I'm looking forward to being back in the car soon - I'm pretty sure I will be driving in Montreal".
 

Sergio Perez's Sauber's car after the crash

Your Comments

 

Next F1 Race

Australia
Mar 15
Australia

Formula 1 News

Friday, January 30, 2015

Ferrari unveil 'sexy' new car for 2015

Friday, January 30, 2015

Ex Ferrari boss points finger at Alonso

Friday, January 30, 2015

Sauber reveals new blue car for 2015

F1plusStore
F1plusStore

Last F1 Race

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Yas Island, Yas Marina Circuit
1
Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes
2
Felipe Massa
Williams F1
3
Valtteri Bottas
Williams F1
Fastest Lap

Daniel Ricciardo
1'44.496s

Pole Position

Nico Rosberg

View all »

 

Follow Us