HUNGARORING, July 24, 2014 (F1plus/Katie Grimmett).- One week after their first lap collision, Felipe Massa continues to insist that the crash at Hockenheim was the fault of McLaren driver, Kevin Magnussen.
The incident cost Massa a chance at the podium last week, forcing him to retire from the race. As a result, the Brazilian has been quick to pass blame to the rookie driver, remaining adamant that he was failing to consider the needs of those around him.
“I think he was a little too aggressive, he did not have the line to make that move because he was on the inside”, he explained. “I could not know someone was there, it was impossible, I couldn’t see!”
When asked about the incident during a press session on Thursday, Massa argued that he was racing fairly by allowing his team mate Valterri Bottas to pass.
“I was very close on that corner so I backed off to let Valterri in front”, he told gathered media.
FIA stewards looked into the Brazilian driver’s actions during the collision, deciding not to penalise him. Instead, they ruled it racing incident.
“So you see, there is a lot to improve even in the FIA”, he added referencing the FIA’s decision. “How many races has he caused problems on the first lap?”, he continued, noting rookie Magnussen’s inconsistent season.
Massa’s first lap incident last week was his third of the season, dropping the Brazilian to eighth in the championship standings. Despite this, and the attention surrounding the collision, the Williams-Martini racer refused to dwell on the past.
“We do not need to live in the past; we need to live in the future. We need to concentrate to do a good job here”, he said, six years after his season-ending injury at the Hungaroring.
“I will not let what happened last time stay inside my brain. We will not learn anything from that”.