MONZA, September 4th, 2014 (F1Plus / Rosie Baillie) - Caterham have confirmed that Kamui Kobayashi will race in this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix and Roberto Merhi will take part in FP1.
Kobayashi did not take part in the Belgian Grand Prix weekend after being replaced by three-time 24 Hour of Le Mans winner Andre Lotterer.
The Japanese driver will be back behind the wheel of the CT05 this weekend, though he will miss FP1 as Formula Renault 3.5 driver Roberto Merhi will make his Formula One debut in first practice.
Kobayashi said he respected the Caterham’s decisions and was looking forward to finding out how the car has progressed since Hungary.
“I am working for Caterham F1 Team and I always respect team decisions. Now I am back in the car and looking forward to going racing again,” Kobayashi said.
“We have worked hard as a team and added performance to the car as well as bringing new updates since I last drove in Hungary before the summer break, so I’m looking forward to feeling the updates on track here in Monza.”
Merhi, who is currently second in the Formula Renault 3.5 championship, said he was delighted to be making his F1 debut, especially at a track which he has fond memories of.
“I am delighted to be taking part in my first ever Formula 1 Free Practice session and I want to thank Caterham F1 Team for this opportunity,” Merhi said.
“I’ve been working very closely with the team during the last few weeks and I feel ready for this opportunity; Friday is going to be a very special day for me and one I will never forget.
“Monza is also one of my favourite tracks – I ended up on the podium there earlier this year during my first race of the season in the Formula Renault 3.5 championship, so it’s a circuit that will bring back very good memories.”